Sheep Go To Heaven

11 December 2012

Christmas Wishes 2012

Two years ago, when I was blogging during Advent, I was struck by how materialistic I found myself around Christmas.  A lack or scarcity (even a relative one) of, well, stuff certainly makes me think about stuff in a different way.  There were just more times during a day or week living in Nicaragua where I would think "it sure would be nice if I had..." compared to when I lived in the United States.

I do think that has changed a bit, over two years into living here.  I've gotten used to the things that are available, and have learned a little more about how to look for things that are harder to find.  But I also continue learning the lesson of how little of the stuff that still sometimes feels necessary to me, truly is necessary, or even important.  It's a lesson that I need to learn over and over again, because that feeling that these things are necessary, creeps back in over and over again.

I continue to be very impassioned about the work that Global Ministries does all over the world, and the model they use of partnering with churches and organizations who are in and of the country and culture in which they work.  It's really a gift to get to work for an organization I believe in.  So, a gift to Global Ministries in honor of our family would be very welcome.  A general, unrestricted gift helps them do important work around the world in a way that is responsive to changing needs and priorities.  A special gift to the Christian Mission Church of Nicaragua, the church we work with here, would also be very much appreciated.

I do, it turns out, have some materialistic desires as well.  Chief among the things I miss about life in the United States is chocolate. :)  So, fairly traded chocolate treats are always very welcome.  I still haven't adjusted totally to making do with things that are available in Nicaragua -- I tend to update my wardrobe in the U.S. (to the extent that I actually do that sometimes ;) ), and get books as well (even books in Spanish).  So I do have some very prosaic wants, most of which are really hard to get for another person (like a running bra...).

Mainly I am happy to be getting to celebrate Christmas with our families, and look forward to baking lots of treats because I know I will be able to find the ingredients!

1 Comments:

  • I may feel the need to stuff your suitcase with chocolate for your return trip.

    By Blogger Marty, at 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home